SBS 2008 Installation checklist
NB – This is for a plain SBS install and not a swing migration
- Check current LAN IP range. SBS 2008 does not like public IPs – i.e. its IP must be private. If installing into a LAN that uses public address I would recommend getting it online and running through the connection wizards elsewhere. For example you cannot use the pop3 connector until the “connect to internet” wizard has been run.
- Email – determine how email is delivered with a view to checking if any DNS records need to be altered. If so contact supplier and formulate plan.
- User accounts – get a list of current users
- Passwords – make sure you have the domain admin and pop3 password if used.
- Installation DVD – make sure you have this. Download if needed.
- Use Dell/HP build CD to setup server
- Create system partition of at least 100GB. All other space can be used for data partitions.
- Make sure all updates are done. Exchange 2007 sp3 will have to be installed manually
- Drac/iLO – Make sure connected and configured with an IP
- Download SBS 2008 Update Rollup 4 from here
- Make sure an outbound SMTP relay is setup
- Make sure DNS forwarders are configured
- Where possible use the SBS wizard
- Install the “print services” role. Setup all shared printers to be deployed via GPO
- Create User Accounts
- Enable My Documents redirection (if viable)
- Make sure shadow volume copies is enabled on all data drives
- Configure Backups