- Ideally has direct access to the SAN (e.g. will need to be on the iSCSI network). Will need a Fibre card if using a Fibre SAN
- Veeam recommends 4-8 CPUs for the backup server. De-dupe is very CPU intensive! At least 2GB memory preferably DDR3
- Needs 1GB network connection between Veeam servers.
- If running Windows 2003 you should switch off automount (i.e. so it doesn’t automatically wipe SAN drives!). to do this open a cmd-prompt and enter “diskpart”. Then type in “automount disable”
- You will need an account with “log on as a service” permission to the Veeam servers. You can set this via domain or local group policy.
This is simple enough just a case of next-next-next.
Setup Email notifications
Add ESX or vCenter Server
You will need to add an ESX or vCenter server to run backup jobs
- This works by creating a new VM from your backup file and running it in an isolated environment. For this to work you need to create a virtual lab (i.e. the isolated environment) within which this VM can run.
- Note that in order to test a number of servers you will probably need to have a domain controller running (e.g. exchange requires a DC to run). Therefore I recommend creating an application group to start a domain controller (in the isolated environment) before starting your other server (e.g. an exchange server).
- Once you have the application group created you can specify this as a pre-requisite of the surebackup job
In the example below surebackup is configured to test an exchange server
- Consolidate similar VMs into 1 backup job to get the most benefit from de-dupe
- Cannot backup VMs that use RDM in physical mode. E.g. if you directly reference the SAN within a virtual machine this will not work
- Compression will decrease the size of the backup job but may increase the time taken for the job.
- Direct SAN access is the best option when using a SAN (obviously the Veeam server needs direct access to the SAN)
- If using local storage on an ESXi server use the network option
- U-AIR requires the installation of enterprise manager
- If experiencing backup time outs when running surebackup verifications then try increasing the timeouts in the backup job.