- Make a note of the IP info- e.g. open a CMD prompt and enter ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt
- Install the latest version of vmware converter
- Stop a appplication and database services
- Run vmware convertor. Resize drives if appropiate and choose option to install vmware tools. I also recommend changing the layout to “thin”
- Start the VM up not connected to the network to test. E.g. do not connect the network card or put in a vswitch with no network cards.
- Set IP information
- If happy shutdown the VM, shutdown the physical source.
- Start the VM
- Uninstall any hardware specific programs from the control panel – e.g. HP Array Manager, These are obviously not needed after virtualisation.
- VM does not start – disk read error. Try virtualising again but choosing “SCSI bus adapter” as the SCSI controller.